David's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine  Brooks

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: read-fiction
Read from March 26 to 31, 2011

I was surprised to see this consistently compared to The DaVinci Code both here and on Wikipedia. This book is nothing like The DaVinci Code. It's like a James A. Michener novel if Michener had been an ironic 21st-century Australian woman.

Maybe I'm showing my age. Gather 'round Grandpa and listen up. James A. Michener, children, was in some ways the Dan Brown of his time (i.e. the 1950s - 1980s), but his time was one where at least some people had the time and patience to read fatter books with genuinely edifying content. Also, Michener didn't pander to the perverse desire of butt-heads to believe that secret evil conspiracies control the earth. Michener wrote (now unfashionably earnest) books full of historical detail, usually anchored to a particular spot on the globe. Replace the spot on the globe with a book, replace an earnest 20th-century American man with an ironic 21st-century Australian woman, and – viola! -- you've got The People of the Book. Makes perfect sense, right? No? OK, pour Grandpa another Jameson's and we'll go through it again. Hey, where you going? Get offa my lawn!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.