Rebecca's Reviews > Guilty: Liberal 'Victims' and Their Assault on America

Sep 18, 09

bookshelves: books-to-buy
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

Wow.

Okay, so let's get this out of the way first. There is very little middle ground with Ann Coulter. You either love her and probably have little bad to say about this book, or you hate her and have nothing good to say about this. So, spare me the comments of SHE'S SO EVIL AND SO BAD AND I TOTALLY DON'T RESPECT YOU AS A PERSON NOW BECAUSE YOU'VE READ HER YOU CRAZY RIGHT-WING BITCH.

That said, let's move on.

My theory is that, for any portion of the political spectrum, there are two types of opinion writers. There are the people who want to explain and persuade others to their point of view, or at least make the reader go "Hm, I never thought of it that way before. Let me research it and get back to you." And then there are just the pitbulls/cheerleaders, who really aren't trying to win any new converts, but who are just trying to energize people who already agree with them. It's not rocket science to figure out which Ann Coulter is. It's her purpose, and to some degree I think it's her persona.

As to the book itself, someone else's review, which I can't find now, mentioned that she writes like she talks. The book almost sounds in places like it was dictated, with no editor to go back and say "yes, that's how you'd say it, but that's not how you need to write it." There are parts that were funny, funny, funny...too far. Maybe they wouldn't have sounded like they were just that bridge too far if they'd been spoken with proper inflection, but when you're just reading them, you're left going "really? You...really?" Sometimes I was left checking the location of the endnotes to see when she was reciting things that actually happened, and when she started her commentary. "Is she seriously saying that happened? Because I don't think--no, the endnote was two sentences ago, this is the joke. Okay. Got it." Again, that's something that comes from writing like you speak, but without spoken inflection it's difficult to tell.

As a side note, there's an amusing typo in the last chapter that says that Teddy Roosevelt was shot in 1921. This left me completely confused for a few seconds, running the timeline in my head. The date is correctly cited endnotes as 1912, but it gave me a bad couple of moments when I thought that I had suddenly lost my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty.

09/15/2009 page 89