Alexa SOF2014's Reviews > Shadow Of A Bull

Shadow Of A Bull by Maia Wojciechowska

Sep 09, 2009

liked it

Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska takes place in the province of Andalusia, southern Spain, which is characterized by "majestic mountains, lacey olive groves, the round symmetry of the bullrings, and the pointed church steeples. Manolo Oliver is the son of the greatest matador in Spain, Juan Oliver, who was killed by a bull and is expected to someday follow in his fathers footsteps but there is one problem. Manolo does not want to be a bullfighter and is afraid of bulls. Unfortunately for Manolo at the age of 12 he has to fight his first bull. The story leads up to the climax of the final bullfight and the courage and bravery it takes for him to get there.

In this book Manolo is expected to be just like his father and follow in his footsteps. In my life I am expected to do a lot of things my parents have done but I am still working on them. Manolo also faced his fear of fighting a bull at the age of 12 and I faced my fear of heights when I was 12 too.

I really liked reading Shadow of a Bull because the reader got to see how Manolo built up his courage and fear to fight the bull. By the end of the book Manolo became a man and it was amazing to see the transition from the beginning to end. I realized that anything is possible and when someone tells you they can’t do something it really means they don’t want to. This was an eye-opening book and I really took pleasure reading it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Of A Bull.

06/14 marked as: read