Karyn's Reviews > The Likeness

The Likeness by Tana French

Sep 28, 09

Read in September, 2009

I *love* this book -- the kind for which you break engagements and go home early just so you can get in bed and read it; the kind that makes you look forward to getting out of bed and going to work in the morning because you'll get to read it on the subway on the way there.

"The Likeness" is a sequel to Tana French's "In the Woods", which I also highly recommend, and even though the plots do not depend on each other, I also recommend reading them in order because you'll know the characters better and probably enjoy the sequel even more. "In the Woods" is basically a straightforward detective-based mystery (in form; I do think the writing and setting and characters take the form to awesome heights), but "The Likeness" is a novel that discourages me from ever trying to write one of my own because I know there is no way I could ever write one as amazing as this.

Aspects of the novel remind me a lot of Donna Tartt's book "The Secret History". It's like a grown-up "Secret History" for when you enter your 30s, and I am just as obsessed with it as I was with "The Secret History" when I was in high school.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Likeness.

Victoria Fullard Thanks for the great review, Karyn. I just stumbled across a used copy of The Likeness and am eager to read it but appreciate knowing I should pick up a copy of "In the Woods" first.

Karyn Tori wrote: "Thanks for the great review, Karyn. I just stumbled across a used copy of The Likeness and am eager to read it but appreciate knowing I should pick up a copy of "In the Woods" first."

Yay; I hope you love them both! I certainly did :)