Jennifer D's Reviews > The Right Attitude to Rain

The Right Attitude to Rain by Alexander McCall Smith

May 05, 10

bookshelves: library-borrow, effing-awful
Read in September, 2009

I just didn't get the point of the story. It was lovely and quaint and I did enjoy the fact that it is set in Edinburgh, but there was really nothing much else to it. Now, I have only read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by McCall Smith and that was quite a while ago. It was enjoyable. The Right Attitude to Rain is the third book in the "An Isabel Dalhousie Novel" series McCall Smith has created. Did I miss something by jumping into it at the third book? I don't think so. There was enough information given that I didn't feel lost with the characters or story.

**Spoiler Alert** To me, the only point I could reach is this is a story about the summer of Isabel's 42nd year and she is not a spinster loser. There is still hope for her.**End of Spoilers**

A summer in the life of... does not match up to a day in the life of... (a la Mrs. Dalloway).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Right Attitude to Rain.

09/10/2009 page 1
09/10/2009 page 26
9.03% ""Character, she had written, is a term that almost requires explanation today.""
09/11/2009 page 172
59.72% ""Character, she had written, is a term that almost requires explanation today.""
09/11/2009 page 288
100.0% ""Character, she had written, is a term that almost requires explanation today.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diane Challenor On the surface the Isabel Dalhousie stories seem to be very light and "twee" but it is the "moral philosophy" sprinkled throughout the book that sparkles. Isabel, the main character, chatters on about things that I too have considered at a deeper level. The book gives Alexander McCall Smith a context within which he places intelligent philosophical thought which is very much in tune with today's social dilemmas. I think it is a series that a reader must start off with book-one and followed in chronological order. I enjoy listening to the audiobook just before I go to sleep because it's a gentle story with interesting musings. Food for thought. I'm listening to the series for a second time and enjoying it.