Octo's Reviews > Black Swan Green

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Oct 01, 07

bookshelves: dunread
Recommended for: one and all
Read in September, 2007

Ok, so this is more of a precedence review than anything else. If I never give 5 stars then 4 stars becomes 5 stars, right? And where does that leave 4 stars? I dunno. You can't be assigning ratings you can't define, can you? This all isn't helping...

Ugg... Anyway.

No, this book is not perfect. But, hey, neither is Joe Mamma, ok!?!

English kid growing up in 80s Thatcher-England in a small village somewhere north and west of London. Kid has problems, as all kids do, and does what he can to deal with them.

But what makes this book so good for me is the pinpointing of the important things in life. You know how when (really) unimportant things are going to hell in a handbasket and you sorta learn something 'important' because of the situation? And you know how it really doesn't matter to you at the time because the unimportant things are what really matter to you then? Yeah, this book sums it up.

So, what's important anyway? The stuff we call 'really' important in the long run, or the unimportant stuff that affects the way we live our lives?

Subtle phrases made me laugh. Chapter endings made my cry. The book in whole made me think. 5*
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Swan Green.