Nikki's Reviews > The Sculptress

The Sculptress by Minette Walters

Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: edgar-best-novel-winners, fiction, mysteries, re-reads, books-set-in-england
Read in September, 2009

Out of 50+ winners of the Edgar Award for Best Novel, I had only read 13 before beginning my challenge to myself to read all of them. The Sculptress was one of them. I had read the first three or four of Walters' novels, and then stopped keeping up with them for some reason or no reason. I may have to rethink that decision.

Walters' books are characterized as psychological thrillers, and they certainly do have many of the traits of that subgenre. Unlike some, though, Walters has said that there is always some love, some redemption in her books, and I think that's why I find them easier to take than some of the other authors who focus on deviance.

In The Sculptress a non-fiction writer, still reeling from the death of her young daughter, is being pressed by her agent to get busy and write another book. She decides to interview a woman known as The Sculptress who is in prison for the murder and dismemberment of her mother and sister several years before. As she gets to know the prisoner, she begins to doubt the guilt of the self-confessed murderer. Her investigations lead her down unexpected paths and also introduce her to a former policeman who worked on the case, with romantic consequences.

Although I gave this book five stars, I wasn't really completely happy with the ending, specifically the epilogue. Still, the writing, plot, characters and setting were all excellent. Highly recommended for anyone who missed it the first time around.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sculptress.