Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > Something Like Fate

Aug 20, 10

liked it
bookshelves: own-arc, own
Read from May 05 to 15, 2010

Unbelievably enough, this is my first Susane Colasanti book. First thing I notice, this book has that fresh easy-going voice that makes you think it's one of your friends who's telling the story. On the other hand, just like with Sarah Dessen, the back and forth within a chapter sometimes annoys me. But it works, and makes a short yet "meaty" book. It could have been longer, but with her skipping from one moment to the next, it lets you in the basics without any TMI.

Very well developed characters and interesting sub-plots gives this predictable and over-done issue a whole new meaning. What could have been a very boring story about girl-who-falls-for-bff's-boy is enriched by Blake's story. He was my favorite character, because even though she manages to bring all characters to life, Colasanti fails with the male lead, Jason, whose personality is completely missing from the pages. Except those qualities he shares with Lani because, you know, they're soul mates. He seemed like just the perfect boy, no issues there. But Lani's boy bff, Blake, was charming dreamy and everything one would ask for in a male bff. Yes, even gay. Had he not been in the book it would be just another corny read.

Overall, for the romantic teen-love types, I believe this book will be very pleasing indeed. 3.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Fate.