Shannon's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Sep 09, 2009

bookshelves: teen, must-reads
Read in September, 2009

I am Not a Serial Killer manages to put you into the mind of a teenaged sociopath obssessed with death, and actually make you like him.

John Cleaver knows he's not normal, but has gotten good at pretending his is. He's made rules for himself that keeps him acting like everyone else, keeps him from drawing to much attention from others, and keeps him from wanting to hurt people. But even with those rules in place he can't pull himself away from his mom's mortuary that he loves, or his avid facination with serial killers. So when ripped and mangled bodies start start appearing in his small town, John becomes obssessed with finding the killer.

The writing is dark, witty, chilling, and sometimes downright disturbing. Dan Wells book manages to leave you laughing, shocked, and horrified, blending the emotional ride seamlessly throughout the book.

I did feel the supernatural elements never quit integrated into this story, but it did it's part. The murders kept me on the edge of my seat, and got my blood pumping. But the truely horrifying moments in the book are when John starts to break down the walls that keep him normal, break his own rules, and begins to find just how dangerous he can be.

Not for the weak of mind or the queasy of stomachs. Read it, enjoy it, and laugh at all the poor fools missing out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.