Glitterfairy's Reviews > The Rose of the World

The Rose of the World by Jude Fisher

U 50x66
Sep 09, 09

Read in September, 2009

(Thematic spoilers, not specific ones)

The worst of the three books which I read purely because I thought the first book was kind of decent, and I happen to like the characters (maybe not what happens to them and how, but I think the concepts are good).

I get the impression Fisher tries to go all existential Hobb-like in this book but she fails. There's too much time spent agonising over an individual character's thoughts and not enough time telling a really good story. The forethought I felt was in the original book isn't evident here - and the biggest loss is that I feel the ending is both confusing and unsatisfying.

I find this really disappointing because there are a lot of good ideas in the book, and in the hands of another writer I think this could have been a stellar series. Magic, feminism, ancient lore, battles, opposing cultures and religions, love and lust, the children of demigods with twisted powers? What's most frustrating is that the ideas are ***IN*** the series, but they're just not developed well/at all past their initial appearance.

All the elements of a great story are here, but alas have been squandered.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose of the World.