Li's Reviews > Malinche

Malinche by Laura Esquivel

Jul 28, 10

Read from July 20 to 28, 2010

There were portions of this book that I really loved. Seeing (and "feeling") the destruction of Tenochitlan through Mallinalli's eyes was powerful. The beauty of motherhood and the peaceful later years with Jaramillo were touching. But honestly, I found myself rolling my eyes during a good portion of this book.
It's just too poetic, too lyrical. Esquivel is an amazing author. She has such a way with words. For that, this book could have gotten 4 stars. However, it was too much. A lot of going on about nature and the gods without delving into the heart of who Mallinalli was. We eventually get to know her but the journey is extremely tedious.
The ending was horrible! After all the lyrical prose, we're given the shortest most random ending.
I'm very disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malinche.

01/09/2010 page 1
07/24/2010 page 54
26.0% "Beautifully written. Very lyrical. Her words make you fall in love with the earth. Not an easy read but the story flows."
07/27/2010 page 100
48.0% "Beautifully written but I find myself looking at the page numbers to see if I'm almost done. Too much narrative. It's interesting enough but not a favorite."