Dorothy's Reviews > A Rant of Ravens

A Rant of Ravens by Christine Goff

Dec 08, 09

bookshelves: cozy-mysteries
Read in December, 2009

This first mystery by Christine Goff was mildly entertaining. It featured one of my favorite activities, birding, as a central part of the plot. Indeed, this is the first in her series of "birdwatching mysteries." The references to birds and to birding were enough to keep me reading to the end, although I had successfully solved the mystery long before the heroine, Rachel Stanhope.

Rachel is a New York City girl who is in the midst of the breakup of her marriage. At the invitation of her Aunt Miriam, she goes to Colorado to stay with her at "Bird Haven," her raptor rehabilitation center. Unfortunately, soon after Rachel arrives, she stumbles over the dead body of a birders' magazine reporter. Shortly thereafter, Aunt Miriam disappears along with three valuable birds and it looks very much as if she might be the murderer. Rachel doesn't believe it, of course, and sets out to prove otherwise and to find her aunt, who she believes may be in danger.

As I said, the mystery was mildly entertaining. It could have been a bit tighter and the scenes of danger could have been a bit more suspenseful and - um - dangerous. But, overall, it was just interesting enough to keep me reading the other entries in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rant of Ravens.

12/06/2009 page 31
13.84% "This book combines two of my prime interests: birds and mysteries. It promises to be entertaining."
12/07/2009 page 63
28.13% "A search for a rare LeConte's Sparrow turns up the dead body of a writer for a birding magazine instead. Is Aunt Miriam involved?"
12/08/2009 page 142
63.39% "The plot becomes clearer and I think I've figured it out already, but I'll keep reading to find out if I'm right."