Jamie's Reviews > Gossamer

U 50x66
Sep 08, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: summer-reading-books-2009

Gossamer is a fantasy novel by Lois Lowry. This story is about Littlest one, a dream giver in training who is assigned to the house of an elderly woman with a dog, who has taken in an angry boy named John as foster child. John has had a history of being abused by his father. Littlest is part of a small group of dream givers. By touching, they gather fragments such as words, colors, and sounds, combine them to from dreams to humans and sometimes pets. The giving of dreams is called bestowal. This group of dream givers often fights off sinisteed, those who give off nightmares. Littlest learns to take care of John, as she struggles to find happy memories to put in his dreams, and protect him from nightmares. In the end, John loses his anger and littlest is reassigned although she wants to remain assigned to him.
I see a text to world connection here, as John has been the victim of an abusive father. So many kids today come from a world of abuse. Many are in foster homes, other aren't, and never admit to the abuse. I was happy to see John lose his anger. Many abused people today have difficulty with this.
I rate this book 3, because it dealt with too much abuse for me. I would recommend this book for those who enjoy fantasy novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gossamer.