AgentScully's Reviews > The Punishment of Nicollet

The Punishment of Nicollet by Evangeline Anderson

Feb 27, 10

bookshelves: novellas, spank-me-baby, e-books, my-smut, wallbangers-wtf-dude, blows-chunks
Read in November, 2009

The virtual "cover" is the sexiest thing about this novella. Usually I'm a fan of EA and her spankoramas, but this one fell short of the mark in every way. Worse, it left me feeling vaguely unclean and decidedly unsexual.

Neither the 30 year old hero nor the 18 year old heroine appealed to me at all. He spends way too much time wrestling with his conscience about how he raised his foster sister's daughter since childhood and shouldn't be lusting after her. Usually I have no problem with guardian/ward romances as long as there's no blood tie, but the hero dwelt on this so often and at such length, that even I got icked out. His initial strategy of talking to and treating her as if she was still a little girl gave off a creepy ol' perv vibe.

The sex scenes fell totally flat for me as a result, and I started feeling like a perv too for reading this stuff. Not the reaction I'm going for when reading romantica, you know? When they finally have intercourse the hero calls himself a "monster" and the scene "sordid". Way to kill the romance dude! Whatever buzz he didn't kill off gets slaughtered by the heroine's mother showing up and shrilly accusing him of rape and pedophilia. He defends himself by saying "I love her the same way you do - like a daughter". After he's just had sex with her. Why am I feeling that I need a thorough bath now?

The virgin heroine is a bimbo with a penchant for baby-talk. At one point she questions the hero about his cock - "how do you use it? How do you make it work?” This is what college girls have become? Her idea of seduction is to tell the hero that her pussy aches and ask him to kiss it better like he always kissed her hurts when she was little. Oyyyy, what is that queasy, roiling feeling in my tummy right now?

Run far, far away from this one folks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Punishment of Nicollet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. AARGG!! Scully: This sounds definitely like the anti-romance novel! You know that you and I diverge on the "spanking" theme, even if I don't have a problem with it as an adult sexual fantasy (just not mine). But this one definitely sounds like it's focused on WAAAY too many pervy-portrayed moments as you pointed out! Not to mention the fact that I have "30" something male children who didn't even sniff around "18" year olds (and my kids seems young to me) says something! That said, I wouldn't blink at a 40-yr. old hero and a 28-yr. old heroine - That's just the way "maturity" works over time! ;) Sounds like it's just not well written for any tastes! Thanks for the thorough review. ;)
K.

message 2: by Rane (new)

Rane Yuck~!
This book should come with a warning "Be sure to take a long bath, cause this book is going to make you feel gross!"

AgentScully Thanks girls :-)

I actually wrote this review, or most of it, in December but somehow never got around to finishing and posting it. Dunno why, too busy?

Anyway I feel it my duty to warn my friends off this one for sure!

message 4: by seton (new) - added it

seton this is on my TBR and i will probably read it since I have very few EAs that I havent read.
I did wonder what happened to RELEASE when I saw ur review :-)

AgentScully Brave girl! You must let us know what you think of this one when you read it ;-)

I'm still in the middle of Release but didn't get much time to read yesterday. Very hot as you said!

message 6: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Sounds horrible Agent Scully!

AgentScully Melissa when I give a spankoromance 1 star, you know it's BAD :-(