Becky's Reviews > Abhorsen

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: 2009, dystopias, fantasy, multi-dimensional, owned, reviewed
Read in September, 2009

Wow! That was quite a ride. Abhorsen both starts and ends with a bang, literally. Nix does know how to suck a reader right into his stories, and has the prologue technique used to do so perfected, I think. In all three books of the series, the prologue just grabbed me and yanked me into the story. I love that.

So, Lirael, the book, left off with Lirael, the character, and Sam and Mogget making their way to Edge for reasons unknown, except that the Clayr had seen Lirael there. In Abhorsen, we continue that journey, and man is it a tense one! Every bend in the road comes with different obstacles and challenges, and every step of their journey takes them closer to a danger they could never have anticipated or even imagined.

I was happy to see both Lirael and Sam come into their own identities and destinies. Sam came very much into his own in this book, and once he determined that he was not who everyone thought that he was destined to be, and realized that he was OK with who he actually was, he really began to shine. Even though his role in everything was very fleeting, he played an important and pivotal part in their final stand. He was not the cowardly teen we saw in the second book. He made me proud.

Lirael made me pretty proud too, I have to say. Sabriel's father trained her from a young age on the precincts of death, and she had read The Book of the Dead, but even so, the furthest we journeyed with her was the 5th precinct. Yet Lirael's training consisted of one reading of The Book, and the Dog's help-on-the-fly-while-being-chased-by-a-wicked-necromancer, and she goes all the way to the 9th precinct AND survives the gate calling her into eternal death. Pretty impressive.

The further precincts of death were pretty interesting, as is the further information that we learn about the origins of the Charter and the world, really. All very interesting stuff!

I really did enjoy this series overall, and I look forward to reading more of Nix's work.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abhorsen.

09/08/2009 page 1