Matimate's Reviews > A Year in the Merde

198595
Sep 11, 09

bookshelves: 2009, humour
Read in September, 2009

Books about cultural shock are always very amusing no matter, which nation encounters which. The point is in total misunderstanding each other and national pride, which can be very ridiculous. I wonder why English and French are often picked as the target of such novels. However Brit who went on supposed project to Paris and met the reality of French firm and greedy soon to be polititian who taught him important lesson about life in general. Book and plot is filled with twist that are like from very bad drama but in a good way and approach to the French is little bit merciless but even author is not nice to himself. The main plot device was marketing soon to be chain of English tearooms by author, but his project was killed in the beginning and he faced the truth about his new home. Not happy one indeed. His boss slimy methods, boss daughter who was happy with supply of men folk and drugs, various girlfriends and coworkers made colorful characters, who are everything but not nice people. The end of the book is bit of surprising and I think I will look out for another book from this serie .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in the Merde.

09/08/2009 page 32
11.59% "I switched from sailors to this P"
09/11/2009 page 300000
100% "Finished and now review ahead"