Beanbag Love's Reviews > Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek by Cherry Adair

Sep 09, 09

Read in September, 2009

Oh my. I liked Adair's "Kiss and Tell" even though it was an absurd premise. But this follow-up is so outlandish it almost seems as if the author was picking plot points out of a hat full of suggestions.

Mostly, I hated the heroine. TSTL and selfish as the day is long. A lot is made of her taking care of her family and being the one everyone depends on. It's absolutely clear though (and the hero brings this up at one point) that taking care of everyone and making them dependent on you is NOT a virtue. Infantilizing people is a power trip, nothing better. And this chick is all about control. Not that she has any qualifications, experience or ability. She stomps around like a spoiled child, willfully misreading things and demanding it all be her way. Meanwhile she's getting in the way of some pretty serious business the grown-ups are trying to pull together.

The hero, Kyle Wright, is a genius who winds up undercover for four years in order to set up an elaborate sting. The operation was so badly explained that I'm beginning to suspect it was actually just an excuse for him to grow his hair into a waist length fall of dark and dangerous sexiness.

I won't go into more details. Suffice to say the heroine is a monkey wrench throughout. I have no idea why a man who only has half a brain, much less a man who's considered a genius, would fall in love with this troublesome ditz.

Still, I have to passively recommend reading it for the unintentional laughs. It helps to have a reading buddy, as I had with Dina, so you can giggle and point at the nonsense together.

I'm not sure if I have the stomach for another Cherry Adair book. I'm grooving on the suspense romance genre, but I do know a lot more of it falls in the "Hide and Seek" category, rather than "Kiss and Tell". If anyone has any suggestions within this genre, I'd love to know them. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide and Seek.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Holly The operation was so badly explained that I'm beginning to suspect it was actually just an excuse for him to grow his hair into a waist length fall of dark and dangerous sexiness.

LOL. You're right. This book was good for a laugh, but I'd rather just read your review than read Hide and Seek again. *shudders at the thought*

Dina Yes, this was definitely a LOL read. Too bad all the laughing was unintentional.

Come on, Beanbag, I already have the next 2 books in the series on my TBR and I need a reading buddy to go through them. Would you like to volunteer for the job? (LOL)

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "Yes, this was definitely a LOL read. Too bad all the laughing was unintentional.

I just commented on your review. When you're ready to read the next one, I'll go for it. As long as I have a laughing buddy, I think I can take it. ;^D

Dina Okay, it's a deal! After all, we'll have to learn how "sex with a pearl necklace" and "sex on a camel" work, LOL. But let's take a break from Adair for a while. :D

message 5: by K. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. LMAO!! Okay -- SOMEBODY has to keep reading these books just so we can have really good "comedic" reviews! [*K - laughing so hard she can barely type after reading everyone's comments (perhaps even a little evilly knowing they were sucked into Adair as well*:D]

Dina -- I can "spot you" as a reading buddy for "In Too Deep." It's been on my TBR for more than a year! We can "tag-team" review! HA! "Out of Control" might be a bit better than "Hide and Seek," Beanbag . . . better for comedic value anyway! ;D If it makes you feel any better, I was also sucked into the vortex of "Kiss and Tell" myself (which I also enjoyed), but after this one and OOC, I needed a break from all the "laughs."

Thanks for your suffering to provide the comic relief for sure!
K.

Beanbag Love K. wrote: "BTW -- JoAnn Ross's "Freefall" is a very good romantic suspense (I plan to read more of her). Just a warning though -- VERY creepy bad serial killer! Shannon McKenna also writes very good romantic suspense (McCloud Brothers) and Lisa Marie Rice's (Midnight series) (Rice and McKenna are very steamy writers - just FYI)."

Thanks for the recs, K! I'll check them out. :D

Dina K. wrote: "Dina -- I can "spot you" as a reading buddy for "In Too Deep." It's been on my TBR for more than a year! We can "tag-team" review! HA!"

Excellent! Now we have 3 on the reading team for In Too Deep. It's the next one in the series, isn't it? This is going to be fun. ;)

message 8: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully The TFLAC series is like the Star Trek movies - only the even numbered ones are any good. Or so I hear :-)

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review Beanbag!

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Agent wrote: "The TFLAC series is like the Star Trek movies - only the even numbered ones are any good. Or so I hear :-) "

So In Too Deep should be a good one. Good to know, Scully. :)

Beanbag Love Agent wrote: "The TFLAC series is like the Star Trek movies - only the even numbered ones are any good. Or so I hear :-) "

Well, that's encouraging. :D

It'll be fun, anyway. LOL.