Keyye's Reviews > Vurt

U 50x66
Sep 08, 2009

Recommended for: name changed
Read in November, 1997 , read count: 1

On of the first "down the rabbit hole" books I read, where the author was on drugs / going insane / was extremely creative and out of the ordinary, or some combination of the above. I first read this book of the series in high school thanks to my friend Dave and it was refreshingly awesome. There is a bit of an incest scene in there, (usually a deal-breaker for me. If a book even hints at something like that, it goes in my sell to Ukazoo pile.) but the effed up nature of the book in its entirety is part of the long, strange trip.

I own the unabridged version now. (Will eventually read it to see how it differs.) Found it at a random artsy (maybe art-snobby) bookstore in downtown Baltimore across from a coffee shop. When I was between jobs, I entertained my friend Alli's overseas visitor Hannes by escorting him around Baltimore City. I think it was the first and only time I've ever rode the city's bus lines.

I had never seen the book elsewhere besides high school, British authors are not kept in stock around here unless they are a Rowling, so it was a must-buy. I would recommend this book to mature audiences and those interested in a near-distant future full of sex, drugs, rock 'n rock, robots, ghosts, dogs, and incest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vurt.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by skein (new) - added it

skein i SWEAR i shall read this. in unabridged! the idea of abridgement makes my skin crawl - how repulsive!