Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Duchess of Whimsy

The Duchess of Whimsy by Randall de Sève

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: childrens, picture-books, fiction, fairy-folktales, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Read on February 20, 2010

Well, through the first half of this I was laughing so much I wondered how I could ever read it aloud to children.

This is actually one of the best love stories I’ve ever read. It’s about how two very different people (the “whimsical” and the “normal”) find common ground, and also find that they’re not as different from each other as they’d thought. It’s an entertaining story and it’s not overly message heavy It’s funny and sweet, but not overly sweet. Also, aside from the obvious message, one could also say that this story says the way to a woman’s heart is through her stomach. Ha!

The illustrations are glorious: colorful and intricate, with so much to view on each page. They reminded me so much of the illustrations in King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, that while I was reading I thought they were created by the same illustrator, but they’re different artists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess of Whimsy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Yep. I checked. This is the only one so far.

Kathryn Your review captures my thoughts exactly! I loved this and think it is just even more perfect that it was created by a husband and wife team. I hope they do more books together :-)

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Your review captures my thoughts exactly! I loved this and think it is just even more perfect that it was created by a husband and wife team. I hope they do more books together :-)"

You review did the same for me! I hadn't thought of the husband/wife angle. Great point!

Miriam The author has an earlier book called Toy Boat. Her husband usually illustrates for the New Yorker.

Lisa Vegan Miriam wrote: "The author has an earlier book called Toy Boat. Her husband usually illustrates for the New Yorker."

Oh, I love the illustrations (and cartoons) in the New Yorker. Thanks, Miriam. off to look for the Toy Boat book, even though I'm trying to not add any more picture books to my to-read shelf.

Kathryn Miriam wrote: "The author has an earlier book called Toy Boat. Her husband usually illustrates for the New Yorker."

Oooh, thank you! Like Lisa, I'm off to see if my library has this :-)