Raphael's Reviews > Children of the River

Children of the River by Linda Crew

M_50x66
Sep 07, 09

Children of the river by linda crew is a book That takes place in the 70s about a Cmbodian refuge girl fleeing from the kamer roge to america. Her name is Sundara and she left both her parents behind and leving with her aunt uncle and cousins to get on a crowdwed cargo boat, filled with hundereds of other refugies. With hardly anny food or water on the crowded boat sundaras aunt Soka asks her to take care of her baby on the boat. Unable to find anny food for the baby sundara is forced to throgh the dead babys body oveboard. Now in America Sundara is haunted by her dead cousuns ghost along with the aditional guilt from her aunt. She also likes an american boy named jonathin who acording to cambodian tradition and her aunt is completely forbiden as a matter of fact even talking to him is forbidin. Eventualy Soka forgives Sundara for her chileds death. After this the haunting memories go away for Sundara. After Soka heres that Jonathins dad is a docktor volinter in cambodia and that Jonathin wants to fallow in his footsteps Soka decides to give him a chance.
I can conect this book with myself because my mom told me about when she imigrated to America and about how she experinced culture shock. She wasn't fleeing from the kamer roge and she didn't have to through her dead body of the side of a ship. (At least i hope not.) I dont even think she came here on a boat.
I gave this book three stars. This is because although it teached me alot about cambodian tradition and about imigration I didnt find it all that interesting. It would have been beter if there was a twist at the end of the book. I recomend this book to annybody who is interested in real world events or has imigrated.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the River.