Julianna's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: desert-island-keepers, read-2010, tween-fiction, young-adult-fiction
Recommended for: Lovers of Fantasy - Young or Old
Read from June 01 to July 30, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reviewed for THC Reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is yet another fabulous installment in J. K. Rowling's blockbuster fantasy saga. As with the other books in the series it starts out a little slow and gradually builds to a nail-biting conclusion. The first half of the book has lots of humorous moments. I love how Harry conveniently forgot to tell the Dursleys that Sirius was innocent, and it was hilarious how they were also terrified of the Weasleys who are about the nicest family ever. Readers finally get to meet the much-talked-about Bill and Charlie Weasley, and now that I have, I think I have a crush on Bill because of his rebel personality complete with long hair and earring.;-) Harry, Ron and Hermione get to experience all the excitement of the Quidditch World Cup game. I thought the scenes with the witches and wizards who attended the game trying to dress like Muggles in an attempt to go undetected was LOL funny too.

Once back at Hogwarts, the students receive the surprise of a lifetime when it is announced that the Tri-Wizard Tournament is being reinstated and will be held there for the first time in a century. There is a lot of excitement surrounding the three events that the champions must face, but certain events leading up to them, bring out some uncharacteristic tension between Harry and Ron. The antagonism between Malfoy and Ron seemed to grow a bit in this one too. Readers also get to meet the newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, who I actually liked which made certain things that happened surrounding him all the more shocking. I still find myself pondering why there is a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher every year, and I think I might be starting to make some headway on that puzzle. It seems that Harry gets to meet new magical creatures every year too, and I have a strong feeling that they will become important allies in the books to come. In fact, there were lots of mysteries to mull over as this book progressed, and there were many twists and turns that I didn't see coming.

To entertain the more mature readers like myself there was some fascinating social commentary on several fronts. One was witch reporter, Rita Skeeter, and her distasteful brand of tabloid journalism. Another was Hermione's campaign to free house elves from perceived enslavement, although it seems that the house elves see things quite differently. This was the only sub-plot I can think of that didn't have a clear conclusion, so I have a feeling the debate may continue into future books. Last but not least there was the reaction of certain individuals to the climactic events at the end of the book which in my mind just went to show that some people simply won't be persuaded even if the evidence is right in front of their faces. All of these events really helped to engage my adult mind in pondering deeper things.

There is an abundance of new characters introduced and old ones who return, including some surprises. Readers are introduced to two new wizarding schools, their headmaster/mistress, and students as they come to take part in the tournament. Cedric Diggory who was first seen in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban returns to show what a good sport, perfect gentleman, and all-around great guy he is, and Harry's crush Cho Chang gets her first lines too. The other two Tri-Wizard champions were interesting characters as well. Harry, Ron and Hermione get their first dates in this book which was a lot of fun. Watching Harry and Ron trying to build up the nerve to ask a girl out and then the end results were absolutely hilarious, but led to lots of jealousies all the way around. I couldn't help but laugh at Ron and Hermione arguing like an old married couple.

Overall, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire really advanced the fantasy story arc to the next level in a big way. There were lots of shocking revelations, some mysteries solved and others just begun, new allies formed and enemies revealed, along with plenty of action, adventure, danger, intrigue, and of course, magic. This book does move into darker territory than what was covered in the earlier books with the unexpected death of one character as well as some torture and a few other scenes which might be frightening to younger or more sensitive readers, but my eleven-year-old loved it and was fine with reading it both alone and aloud with me. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was definitely a keeper for me just like all the others so far in the series. It ended with a huge bang, and I absolutely cannot wait to see where things go from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quotes Julianna Liked

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how
“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

06/03/2010 page 51
6.95% "It's hilarious that the Dursleys are so afraid the Weasleys. I was smiling and laughing all through Chapter 4."
06/15/2010 page 193
26.0% "I'm interested to see where Hermione's defense of the house-elves is going."
07/26/2010 page 659
90.0% "Lots of revelations and unexpected happenings. Getting really exciting!"
07/31/2010 page 734
100.0% "Lots of twists and turns at the end. Another great Harry Potter book that has me looking forward to the next one already.:-) Review coming soon."
show 8 hidden updates…