Madeline's Reviews > Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There

111921
Sep 07, 09

bookshelves: the-list, fantasy, kids-and-young-adult
Read in January, 2008

Apparently Lewis Carroll wrote this book while teaching the real Alice Liddel to play chess. Makes me wish I knew how to play.

The book was pretty fun, basically the same stuff we saw in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. When I saw the movie Coraline it kind of reminded me of this book - the whole idea of passing into another realm where everything appears to be the same, but is really completely different. Of course, Coraline makes it very clear that this alternate world is bad news (unlike Alice's alternate universe, which is all fun and games and math puzzles and Lewis Carroll disguised as a knight). Makes me wonder if Coraline was Neil Gaiman's response to Wonderland.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margali (new)

Margali Did you watch the Alice movie that played on the SciFi network? It's available on Netflix now, and it was really good!

Madeline Isn't that the one where Alice is an adult and is like, a black belt or something? I remember seeing previews for that a while ago.

message 3: by Margali (new)

Margali Yes. The black belt thing doesn't come into it much. I really liked what they made of Wonderland in the movie, and it has some really good people in it, like Kathy Bates as the Red Queen.