Becca's Reviews > Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Aug 10, 10

bookshelves: abandoned
Read in September, 2009

I had to add a shelf to categorize this book. I got to chapter six before I decided to return it to the library. There were two things I couldn't get past: 1)The character of the ghost, Sadie Lancaster. She was too obnoxious. And I realize the point of the character was to annoy the protagonist into action, but I didn't think I could handle one more scene where she harrassed the poor, broken, 27-year-old heroine of which I can very closely relate. Which brings me to my second problem: 2)The main character was in a funk, struggling through life broke, unsure of her career, and having a hard time getting over the last boyfriend, coincidentally name "Josh."

I knew that to preserve my sanity this was one book I need not finish. I truly believe that life is too short to read books that you don't find enjoyable.

That's what school is for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenties Girl.

Quotes Becca Liked

Sophie Kinsella
“It's not enough to believe! Don't you see that, you stupid girl? You could spend your whole life hoping and believing! If a love affair is one-sided, then it's only ever a question, never an answer. You can't live your life waiting for an answer.”
Sophie Kinsella, Twenties Girl
tags: love

09/07/2009 page 12
2.76% 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Great idea of adding a shelf called "abandoned." That's exactly where I would put this book as well.

message 2: by Winni (new)

Winni Well I think that while you a have a point, you have to remember that kinsella's books usually start with her main characters making a mess out of their lives and screwing up over and over again before they come to a point when they finally find their true love, solve the problem and get their lives back together again. I have novels I hate reading too, but I thought the ending of this one was really sweet, even though it was unrealistic. But yeah, I guess each person has her own preferences.

message 3: by Becca (last edited Aug 10, 2010 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Becca Well, after much prompting, I've given Twenties Girl another go and found that I didn't detest it as much as I thought I would (I actually finished it this time). While Sadie's character was still wildly annoying and Lara's inability to use her own mind drove me nearly over the edge, the way their storylines were reconciled made me smile. I would amend my review to 3 stars and I guess, take it off the "abandoned" shelf.

Bookworm99 how can u judge a book based on just 6 chapters?! O.O

BarbG Gudgeon You just gotta remember that Sophie Kinsella writes to make us laugh. It was funny! Can you imagine a Hollywood movie with Shirley McLaine as Sadie and Rene Zellweger (Bridget Jones Diary) as Lara?

Noel I agree to a point; The main character wasnt likeable at all - the way she treated Sadie was terrible. I kept imagining myself in that situation and all the questions I would have... But she didnt get to the point until much later. And her treatment of Josh was just stupid. Still, I enjoyed a few laughs from the book at the start (Her asking the american out and stopping the funeral). Ending waas poor enough. You probably did get the best bits in the first 6 chapters!

message 7: by Y (new) - rated it 3 stars

Y I felt just like you. Putting it down, reading a little, stopping because the ghost became more obnoxious and the girl a bigger pushover. I picked it up again and now on page 361, it gets better. The story makes more and more sense.

Sophie Most of Sophie's book take time to get into. When I first started reading it I also thought that it was boring and pretty much a waste of time. Now I'm further along in the book, I can barely put it down!! Some books you have to give a chance and push through...this is defiantly one of those books. The further you get, the better it is.

Sophie I'm not sure how to edit but whatever. I'm also 15 an if I can enjoy this book, so can y'all!!

Katie Mcsweeney im just about to start chapter 8 and i cannot help but wonder why am i bothering?

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen im glad you took it off the abandoned list and gave it another go! :)

Debbie Gatacre oh my gosh this is the best book EVER! i READ it in 3 days!

Lauren Once you get deeper into the storyline later in the book it makes for a light-hearted and enjoyable read! It had a nice ending...loved it!

Alhanouf Alshareef I strongly agree with u...

Syeda Sadie seemed annoying and ungrateful at first.but now that I have finished reading this book,I think it was worth-reading.

Alanood Al boainain I think you're missing a lot by not finishing the book!! The last three or four chapters are hilarious and amazing. I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable when you read the whole thing. Sadie is incredible!

Cathy Daniel Her books are hilarious and meant to be read, enjoyed and laugh at/with. It's not to be taken seriously!!

Angelica San Juan I say you should give this book another go. He stories just take time because the twist unwinds at the near end. Then it would eventually make sense. A book is not based just by a few chapters. There are more amazing things at the middle. I tell you.

And yes, the plot is very unreal. So before reading anything you wouldn't want to regret, I suggest you look at the genre first. And of course, a few reviews. :)

Jennifer Maloney I agree - I couldn't finish the book it was so obnoxious. I wish there was a category on goodreads for books started but never finished, because I'd really like to review this book, but I don't want to mark it as read when I haven't actually completed it.

message 20: by Becca (new) - rated it 1 star

Becca It drives me nuts to mark books as read too!!! I've made an abandoned shelf, but it's still considered read. I've stopped rating them though and that makes me feel a smidge better.

message 21: by Stef (new) - added it

Stef I agree, Becca! Glad to see others see it my way! Good to know that I'm not alone in this. I want to give it a chance, but when books annoy me they drive me away.

message 22: by Becca (new) - rated it 1 star

Becca Thanks you! Not every book is for every person, that's for sure! I think it's funny how many people have insinuated (or even overtly said) that my opinion of a book (not just this one) is wrong. If a book annoys me, I have every right not to finish it lol. Sheesh.

message 23: by Stef (new) - added it

Stef Becca wrote: "Thanks you! Not every book is for every person, that's for sure! I think it's funny how many people have insinuated (or even overtly said) that my opinion of a book (not just this one) is wrong. If..."

Exactly! It's getting better for me now, though. I just don't like how Sadie, a 23-year-old, is always acting like a 5-year-old having a tantrum. The rules of her world seem off too. She has to scream at the top of her lungs in order for people to hear her? Odd. Also, all of the characters seem so obnoxious! ALL OF THEM. Except for Lara and Kate.

message 24: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby I can totally relate to this review. Life is definitely too short for bad books so I decided to ditch this one!

message 25: by Stef (last edited Oct 09, 2014 08:57AM) (new) - added it

Stef Libby wrote: "I can totally relate to this review. Life is definitely too short for bad books so I decided to ditch this one!" I actually ended up stopping reading it again and moved onto other books. It's just pretty stupid and corny. I stopped at the point when Lara thinks she's back with her boyfriend but of course you know that's going to go downhill. lol