The Flooze's Reviews > Dead Sexy

Dead Sexy by Tate Hallaway

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2009, owned, glutton_for_punishment
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

I do not dislike this series. But I don't adore it. Still, it has its fun moments, its sexy interludes, and many interesting ideas at its foundation.

This time around Garnet must deal with the FBI breathing down her neck, while following a querulous crow around town and coping with Sebastian's jealousy of Parrish. It's never a dull moment for this Wiccan.

There are laughs to be had and bittersweet moments to treasure, but Hallaway's characters still don't feel fully realized to me. Something about the men in Garnet's life strikes me as derived from a template. While both are attractive, Parrish is a bit more real than Sebastian, even though the latter is her present boyfriend.

The FBI agent provides some interesting interactions and prompts Garnet to come to terms with the death of her coven. The zombie plot and the crow messenger, while intriguing, seem secondary to everything else going on and the resolution is anti-climactic.

I'm unsure how I feel about the Goddess Lillith residing in Garnet. Most often, her only involvement is in making Garnet's tummy rumble. Her powers are under-used to the point that she really serves no purpose outside of providing brief bursts of strength.

Overall, this book is a very chick-lit brand of UF, and yet Garnet is not a chick-lit kind of girl. That dichotomy, paired with the lack of truly thrilling moments, keeps me from loving the series. But it's not a bad way to laze away a rainy afternoon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Sexy.

09/07/2009 page 1
0.33% "I want to learn more about these Vatican witch hunters!"
09/09/2009 page 118
38.82% "I'm still not in love with the whole Lillith aspect."
09/11/2009 page 208
68.42% "Parrish, you can hide out at my house any time."