Meredith's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Sep 10, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was my first foray into modern horror reading. As such, I wasn't really able to evaluate the claims on the jacket, as to how Straub reinvents and rearranges classic mystery, suspense, and horror tropes in order to create something new. So I'll suppose we'll give him those. To me, this was a quick read, not really inviting a great deal of reflection, and without prose that really stirred me, but hey, sometimes you just need something to read through and enjoy.

[To get a bit spoiler-y, the plot kind of got patchy for me in the middle (Don is stalked and punished because Ms. Evil knows he will participate in the later book events? Is this because of her interference? Holy pre-determinism, Batman! And Old Dame Evil is playful, thus keeping the same initials, except in one, and the first, case? Ok...). Also, the ending suffered from the Wizard-of-Oz-Complex, where the whole book develops this implacable and unstoppable evil, which is hey, actually pretty easy to defeat, high five!:]
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.