Ruth's Reviews > Wifey

2620629
Sep 07, 09

bookshelves: don-t-event-bother
Read in August, 2009

This was painful to read- tedious descriptions of a tepid housewife's seedy sexual fantasies, with lots of gratuitous use of "other" vocabulary. I liked Judy Blume books as a kid, but this, her "adult" novel, lacked any of the depth, characterization, or plot that I would expect from a book supposedly meant for grownups. I revile the main character, who is shallow and dull, as is the characterization of her and all of the supporting characters. I also revile the plot (or lack there-of). I found myself hating the main character shortly into the book, and she didn't get any more sympathetic as I read. Perhaps the only good part is that it takes very little time to read. There is a lot (of sex) that I suppose would have been intriguing and and shocking in the 70's, or as a teenager, but as an young woman of the 21st century, well, I found there was nothing I could relate too, and that the intellect and emotional maturity of Sandy, the main character, was more reminiscent of a 13 year old than a woman Sandy's age.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wifey.