Jane's Reviews > Audrey Hepburns Neck

Audrey Hepburns Neck by Alan Brown

Feb 21, 10

Read in September, 2009

I seem to be drawn to books which juxtapose Japanese and American culture. I love that aspect of this book. It takes place in Hokkaido province, where While Sheep Chase, a book I read for book club, takes place. This is funnier, more impressionistic. There is a strange relationship between Toshi, the main character, and an American woman. Actually, Americans come off fairly bad...but Toshi is fascinated by them...ever since seeing Audrey Hepburn on the screen. I laughed out loud in the beginning of this book. Rarely do this. We'll see if the sex gets too weird, or the culture clash gets even funnier.

Well, the tone of the book changed drastically. Now it is heartbreaking. The same beautiful sentences, a good deal of focus on the weather and natural landscape juxtaposed against the man-made world, but while the sadness was foreshadowed, I wasn't ready for such a tonal shift. I still recommend it. Almost finished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audrey Hepburns Neck.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Please let me know how you like it. I'm intrigued by the setting in Japan...and, yes, Japanese people have a "thing" for Audrey Hepburn! I'm interested to hear the context of how "Americans come off fairly bad," too.