Karol's Reviews > The Highly Effective Detective

The Highly Effective Detective by Rick Yancey

Sep 13, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in September, 2009

What a surprising book! I chose this one for my "A to Z" challenge, needing an author name that began with a Y. Turns out it was a very enjoyable choice.

Ted Ruzak is not the smartest or most handsome PI you'll ever meet. He talks WAY to much and "makes sense without making sense". In other words, he is entirely lovable. He can't figure out his assistant, Felicia, but she reads him like a book - making for a very interesting work relationship.

While this book is entertaining, it isn't quite in the "Cozy" genre. Looking at my favorite site on this topic http://www.cozy-mystery.com/,
"Cozy mysteries are considered “gentle” books… no graphic violence, no profanity, and no explicit sex. Most often, the crime takes place “off stage” and death is usually very quick. Prolonged torture is not a staple in cozy mysteries! The victim is usually a character who had terrible vices or who treated others very badly. Dare I say…. the victim “deserved to die?” And, there are usually connections between the victims (if indeed there are multiple victims… which usually, in a cozy mystery, there are!), even though the reader is not aware of the obvious connections until the amateur sleuth solves the crimes."

Where this book doesn't fit is in the language (but bad language is used only by the bad guys), and the fact that the victim clearly was not someone whose life you were happy to see end. In other ways, it is very much like a "Cozy" with likable characters, a fast pace, an amateur detective (make that totally clueless), plenty of twists and turns, and a lack of graphic violence and explicit sex.

I am happy to note that there is a second book in the series, and I look forward to reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Effective Detective.