Horizon's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Sep 17, 09

bookshelves: bob-in-petoskey-picks, dave-in-petoskey-picks
Read in September, 2009

A friend asked me the other day why, with all of the other books I have at my disposal, I still am giddy with anticipation of the next Stephen King book. This 4 pound monster of a novel is exactly why. Fantasy writers are often referred to as world builders. They create a new world, new creatures and peoples, new sciences and magics, politics and religions. King is a town builder, and while that may seem small compared to world building, King's world has textures and hues that are almost painfully real. His characters are deeply flawed, very colorful, loud, annoying, scared, pompous.... in other words extremely human. All notes on his writing aside, this story ranks right up there among his best. Full speed from page 1 to page 1072, I never felt like I was reading 2 1/2 regular length novels, in fact i can't believe its over already. With a cast numbering in the hundreds- dozens of them are "main" characters, and a body count only out done by The Cell and The Stand (I think), this beast of a tale rolls over anything in its path, and no one is safe.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

09/08/2009 page 117