Jen's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Sep 25, 09

Read in September, 2009

***SMALL SPOILER ALERT***

I knew I was in for a good cry in the early pages of The Art of Racing in the Rain. The narrator, Enzo, is a dog in failing health who overhears his owner, Denny, tell a friend he has to take Enzo to the vet in the morning and "I'm not sure it's a roundtrip visit." (Enzo's response: "I may not be able to form words, but I understand them.")

Then Enzo proceeds to tell the history of his life with racecar driver Denny, including meeting his wife, having a baby, losing his wife, and other trevails. Their bond is strong, and Enzo is frustrated by his inability to speak; as he says repeatedly, "All I have is gestures."

Enzo is something of a philosopher, interspersing his narrative with life lessons derived from different racecar-driving techniques, such as the titular art of racing in the rain.

It's a page-turner, and yes, there were definitely tears at the conclusion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cara Lee Great review, Jen. I too, liked the line, "All I have is gestures." Sometimes I think that's really all any of us have.

BTW: You might want to let your followers know there's a tiny spoiler in your review.

I enjoy your writing, and I'd love to read one of your articles sometime.