Iris's Reviews > The Constant Gardener

Sep 13, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Read in September, 2009

Although The Constant Gardener got off to a slow start, it turned out to be a well-written mystery/spy story. It would make a good book club book. If it were a movie, I would give it a PG-13 rating since there is some strong language and sexuality.

The main story revolves around the British High Commission in Kenya. Since I am unfamiliar with British Foreign Service and with Kenya, it took me bit to get the timeframe and setting in my mind. Once I was past that hurdle, the book moved very quickly. Although the author’s note at the end says that he created the events of the novel, the corruption he presents is very believable. The conclusion also fits and does not require any stretches of the imagination.

The book offers several interesting topics for discussion. What is the solution to corruption? Are the issues he presents really problems in third world nations? How can we prevent them? How can we better help third world nations? How can we better monitor that help?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Constant Gardener.

09/07/2009 page 130