Joy's Reviews > Captain Jack's Woman

2711937
Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: historical-romance, stephanie-laurens, ebooks
Read in May, 2009

This is the first Stephanie Laurens book I've read, my friend highly recommended her for me to read since I'm a fan of regency/historical romance. I started with this book because it is the first of the Bastion Club. Now I could see why she's highly regarded in this genre. The vivid prose is fluent and the love scenes range from steamy to sizzling hot, not just your typical "roll in the sheets" as she said in an interview, but the love scenes develop the characters and their relationship with each other. The storyline wasn't what I expected, but I was amused with the two of them leading double lives for a just cause. Most of the stories I read on this genre are about women taming rakes and this is one of them. The characters are strong-willed and clash most of the time but the hero, Captain Jack (Lord Hendon) is more dominating, and Kit (heroine) knows she's being manipulated but falls for it anyway. The best part is the compromise. I also loved the part where they got married and it didn't end there, the author still showed life after marriage and how they adjusted to it, unlike other authors who just put what happens after in the epilogue.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Jack's Woman.