Gilbert 's Reviews > Excellent Catholic Parishes: The Guide to Best Places and Practices

Excellent Catholic Parishes by Paul Wilkes

Dec 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: pastoral-theology
Recommended to Gilbert by: for my pastoral theology class
Recommended for: Catholic parish volunteers, staff, priests
Read in November, 2009

This book is more like a mini handbook for "parish administrators" or volunteers who are looking for ideas to strengthen their church. It also has a list of "great parishes" throughout the country that any Catholic can use to visit a "great parish" to either get an idea of what that looks like or to join a church that is active.

I liked the wealth of info in this little book. I wasn't too pleased with the way the chapters were written since they were more like vignettes of parish life...it was hard for me to perceive that these stories reflected the entire life of the parish. Every parish has a great story of ministry and every parish has a depressing story of disempowerment, injustice, and such. I would have rather read how the parishes created their successful programs in some more detail than given.

There's an index of "points of excellence" that parishs can strive for. I'm grateful such a "study" was done and is now available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Excellent Catholic Parishes.