John Servilio's Reviews > Skinny Legs and All

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins

Sep 11, 09

Read in September, 2009

This has to be one of the smartest, most creative works of fiction I've ever read. Add to that funny, poignant, deeply philosophical. And for all its frenetic energy, none of it is superfluous.

I honestly don't understand the criticisms of the work. They seem to be either from people who don't understand it, missed its point completely, or were looking for something to criticize. Racist? Please, this is the last book you'd want to play the race card on. Excessive metaphor? It's the style of the novel, all quite apropos. One chapter began with, what I thought, was a rather contrived metaphor, and then Robbins turned it around by the end of the chapter and gave it brilliant significance.

Read this book. With all the people who gave it mediocre reviews, I can't promise you'll like it, but it certainly won't be a waste of precious reading time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Legs and All.

09/06/2009 page 346

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Sep 06, 2009 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Servilio So far this book is brilliant and will probably end up on my favorites list. It's smart, funny, extremely well plotted, and written with a lovely command of the English language. Nothing feels superfluous and my time is definitely not wasted reading this! Five stars!