D1wata's Reviews > Valley of the Dolls

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

Sep 08, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Well. I read MOST of this book but started skipping around after awhile it dawned on me that the book wasn't going anywhere interesting. I liked it a lot up to the point where Anne falls for Lyon. The setting and the entertainment backdrop were unique to me. But when she switched from a proud, interesting woman wanting the most out of life to someone just falls for this dude.... well, I just couldn't go along with that sort of depressing leap.

"Lyon, what do you think I am? Do you suppose I'm walking with you on a cold December night just because I enjoy freezing?"
"I'm walking because I am a friend, Anne. I'm also a realist. New Haven will end, but you have a great clump of a diamond on your finger and a nice guy that goes with it. You're much too nice for an out-of-town romance."
"Is that all it would be?"
"Could it be any more?" He stopped and looked down at her.
"It can be anything you want, Lyon."

Barf. I hate books/movies/etc where characters orchestrate their own demise. Other characters had their moments, and the New York entertainment setting was fun, but by this time it read much like any other trashy romance/drama thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valley of the Dolls.

09/06/2009 page 58