Beau Johnson's Reviews > The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century

The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman

U_50x66
Sep 06, 09

bookshelves: my-favorite-books, journalism, history
Read in July, 2006

I'm not sure how this book escapes any high school political or economic class. It should a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y be required reading for any high school or college student. Period. It is the best descriptor of the world we live in. Although I'm sure Friedman is politically biased, it's leanings are far more subtle than anything that comes from the media - and far more interesting.

Friedman tells the story of ten things that demonstrate how our world is smaller and flatter. He acknowledges the world we live in, and challenges us to rise to the occasion. This is not an, "America is bad because it's rich" book but one that says, "stop doing what worked 30 years ago, because it's not 30 years ago anymore."

We are faced with the greatest opportunity since the great depression. How will we respond?

A challenging quote (p. 252):

"As you sort out and weigh your multiple identities...you have to decide: Do you prefer the Wal-Mart approach or the Costco approach? This is going to be an important issue in the flat world: Just how flat do you want corporations to be when you factor in all your different identities?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Is Flat.