Beau Johnson's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

U_50x66
Sep 06, 09

bookshelves: literature, my-favorite-books
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** What a tremendous series! Rowling weaves the story of love, regret, childhood angst, good and evil in a creative plot surrounding the image of life bought with blood. The reader is drawn in to the wildly imaginative world of broomsticks, ghosts, talking paintings, and wands.

Like the Lord of the Rings, it is likely critics will say little positive of this series. In the same breath they take away it's merit, however, they will solidify their reputation as irrelevant. The books are marvelous, written as all good books are - to be enjoyed.

Harry shows us the need for friends, wise counsel, and foolish trust. The most prevalent theme of the book is life purchased with blood, something introduced in the first book and brought to completion in the last. A world entirely created by herself, perhaps Rawling writes a bit of self-commentary in the words of Dumbledore who when asked by Harry if this is real replies, "Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real?"

As only a great author can, Rowling shows the true weakness of evil is it's consistent underestimation of good. The price of life, freedom, and peace is costly indeed. Harry learns he must give up himself to find life. Harry Potter is a fun story of courage and loyalty, of love and growing up.

Purely because I am overwhelmed at reviewing each book (and didn't stop to do so after each), I have reviewed them all here.

A favorite quote (book 6, p. 56, spoken by Dumbledore):

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.