Christine's Reviews > Understanding Health Policy, Fifth Edition

Dec 29, 09

bookshelves: read-text-study-books
Recommended for: Health care professionals
Read in December, 2009, read count: 2

Health care is complicated. This book makes it a little bit easier to not just understand the difference between Medicaid and Medicare (among many other things) but also HOW it happened to be that way. It makes me optimistic to see that other countries have succeeded in universal coverage in a variety of methods (not just single-payer). It makes me pessimistic, because as it turns out the system didn't get this screwed up all at once and people have tried to fix it previously, with the most "successful" ones solving one problems while creating others. The history helped put the last year in perspective, but I wonder if this will be the time that fixes it. Between working at a low-SES community health center and living with an unemployed person with chronic pain, I have some experience with the health care system, but this book was a clear, broad view of the larger picture. The vignettes overall were good and descriptive, but I could have done without the puns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Understanding Health Policy, Fifth Edition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Your book selectiosn are pretty boring lately...let's hope that this is all for school and not what you read in your spare time!

Christine No, I've just become insanely boring recently. Come visit me soon and you can watch me crochet. And water some plants. And I can tell you a story about a bridge.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Can you give us some health policy puns?

Christine Not all are puns, just kind of awful groaners:

Fake people in the book:
Betty Lerner, a schoolteacher
Susan Gasser, anesthesiologist
Justin Case
Oliver Hart, transplant patient

... and on and on.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Susan Gasser is definitely my favorite.