Heather Hamilton's Reviews > Kiss

Sep 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: year-2009
Read in September, 2009

Although not a title that will make my top lists, the story (or at least elements of it) are intriguing enough to make me add a couple more Dekker novels to my shelves.

KISS is a modern story, in a modern setting, the mystery a stereotypical political corruption scheme. Even the main character, Shauna, attempting to solve this mystery while dealing with her amnesia is not a new storyline. The intriguing twist comes in a mysterious mental power she discovers she has. I personally think the story could have gone deeper, and the plot become much more twisted, had the authors taken her mysterious power to another level. As it was, they only scratched the surface of the complications that such a power could produce.

I also wish the interpersonal relationships between several characters would have been explored more. There were plenty of words describing the relationship, but no real interplay that would allow a reader to experience it, which is how I connect with characters in a book.

But the story was interesting, picked up a much more comfortable pace in the second half of the book, and I didn't find myself predicting the plot twists ahead of time. This means that the author wasn't leading me by the nose through the plot (which I hate) but the twists that arose didn't shock me either.

I am not sure I would recommend this particular book, but would probably recommend giving one of Dekker's novels a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss.

Quotes Heather Liked

Ted Dekker
“I've already said you can't take anything from me that I wouldn't freely give you.”
Ted Dekker, Kiss