Valerie's Reviews > Fortune's Folly

Apr 25, 2014

bookshelves: retellings, fantasy
Recommended to Valerie by: Ash
Read in September, 2009

I loved this book. It was what some would call charming. It was clean, funny, magical, and best of all happy.

Nata, as her father calls her, is very down to earth. She stopped believing in magic ever since her mother died. And who could blame her because her life has been anything but a fairytale. All she has left in the world is her father, who is so kind and believing, but near useless since he can't make a decent shoe. So it is up to Nata to keep them surviving and in order to do so she has to make terrible compromises. I don't blame her for anything she did. In her circumstance I doubt I could do better. Fortunata is a strong, smart, and loving protagonist.

The journey that Nata takes with the prince and his companion doesn't actually get started until you reach page a hundred or so. But I didn't mind in the least. Fortunata is on her own journey during those first hundred pages and I was just as interested in her solo journey as the one she takes with the prince. I don't think I'd be giving anything away when I say that the prince stutters (you find out the first time Nata meets him). Like you would expect a prince to be, he is handsome but he doesn't have too much confidence in himself. I thought I wouldn't be able to take him seriously because of it but he has his princely moments and he slowly gains confidence in himself.

Fortune's Folly is the kind of book that you just know is going to come with a happy ending. Your just not sure HOW it's going to happen. So if you need to cheer up this book is perfect.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortune's Folly.

Quotes Valerie Liked

Deva Fagan
“Perhaps I had started to believe again in magic, or perhaps in love. Or perhaps they were the same thing.”
Deva Fagan, Fortune's Folly

message 1: by Ash (last edited Sep 06, 2009 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Ha! Do I know how to pick or what? Please, hold your applause.

Cara Ok let's try to shrink your head. Wait that's almost impossible.
Great review Val:D

message 3: by Ash (last edited Sep 10, 2009 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash We've already been through this Cara. Do we really need a repeat?

Cara No just if you need it, we know how slow you are:)

message 5: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I only act like that to make you feel better:D

Cara You'd think that would burn but it doesn't. You always were a people pleaser:D
Back to the book people it does sound like a sweet story.

message 7: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Hey now, there's no need to go there. I was only being honest:D

Valerie If I didn't know you guys better I'd say you didn't like each other but I do so I know your only joking. Thanks for voting on my review by the way:D

message 9: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars