Emily's Reviews > Pleasure

Pleasure by Jacquelyn Frank

May 22, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read in August, 2009

Each book in the Shadowdweller series, in addition to being a romance novel in every sense, clued the reader in to a certain aspect of Shadowdweller society; Ecstasy introduced us to their culture and their world, Rapture shared their religion and their spiritual beliefs, and now Pleasure worked to shed some light on the politics that governed this admittedly unstable world. Ms. Frank’s writing is lyrical without being boring, poetic without being trite, and I found the conversations between the characters to easily be my favorite part of the whole story.

That doesn’t mean that Pleasure is a perfect book, however. In both stories, there’s a definite undercurrent of feeling insecure and inferior, of being unworthy, and of ignoring one’s accomplishments in the face of imagined character flaws, and that meant that the train to Angstytown left on a fairly regular basis. Ultimately, those elements were used to make important things happen in the story, which is a definite good thing, because personally I can only read so much of that before I start to lose interest.

If you’re interested in reading Pleasure, I highly recommend starting with the beginning of the series, which starts in Ecstasy. I really don’t think the series will make much sense or be much fun if you start with the third installment. The end of Pleasure made it seem like future installments were a possibility; I’d definitely read them if they did happen.

Read the whole review and more at What Book is That?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dre (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dre Battles Thank you for your review! I agree with your summary of the first two books! I'm just starting on the third! I like it so far! Even at the beginning there's a hint of that feeling insecure...but then again it kind of makes it easier for us to relate to the characters...makes them a little more realistic. Of course, my opinion on this could easily change considering that I'm only just beginning this book.