Robyn's Reviews > A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All

A Supremely Bad Idea by Luke Dempsey

Sep 06, 2009

liked it
Read in September, 2009

This book was pitched to be Bill Bryson-esque for the birding world. While the tenor of narrative echoes Bryson, the author lacks the same level of wit as Bryson. That said, it is charming and amusing in its own right.

What I liked most about this work of nonfiction is that Dempsey does not merely discuss his adventures to in birding. He infuses the work with an ecological imperative about the decline of nature and how human beings are negatively impacting the lives of birds. This gives the book a deeper meaning beyond "Hey, birds are cool!" (Which, of course, they are)

I'm not sure about the hard cover edition, but this soft cover edition includes a few pages of color images of some of the birds Dempsey tracks. I almost wish there were more color images, however, as the number of birds that Dempsey talks about seeing greatly outweighs the number of images provided.

Overall, if you have a passing fancy in birds, this is a nice personal narrative/memoir worth the time to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Supremely Bad Idea.