Rane's Reviews > To Sir Phillip, With Love

To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn

1987431
Sep 06, 2009

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, historical

It started off with a letter, and turned out to be a correspondence that lasted well over a year, but when Eloise Bridgerton is asked an marriage proposal through a missive she’s a leery to even think about it, but when an event of marriage between her best friend and fellow spinster takes place, Eloise feels this may be her last chance at marriage and love.
Sir Phillip Crane is speechless when a beautiful woman appears on his doorstep, this couldn’t be the woman he’s been writing to? He image a homely woman someone whom could be a mother to his two hellion children and a wife who would take care of everything while he focus on his works with plants. Now this beautiful woman, Eloise is changing his life and talking non-stop as he’s torn between laughter, anger and the need to kiss her.
Either expected this marriage-of-convenience would change not only their lives but their very hearts.

Eloise always came across as a busybody sticking her nose where it didn’t belong, always quick to jump the gun but planning ahead. With To Sir Phillip With Love, I felt Eloise started to come into her own, she started to see that taking your time, not pushing your way through things and learning to listen then having to fill the air with nonsense. It didn’t mean she still wasn’t a busybudy but she learned more through her journey and started to see with different eyes.

Phillip was a just as hard to like off the bat. Although he suffered greatly from the abuse by his father as a child, then the death of his first wife, he kept running away from two children whom needed him the most. Even after the marriage to Eloise, he cop-out and laid everything on Eloise shoulders so he could have sex with her and work in his greenhouse. But it was he who really took me by surprise and showed me a human flaw we all have to face. His fear about being his father, that someday he lose his temper and beat his children like he was beaten, made him fear true involvement. But sometimes it takes a huge wake up call to make us open our eyes, and that’s what happen to Phillip, it made him stop running and finally face what he’s been running from. Eloise was there to be his support and helped along with his children face his fears.
His wife also did a number on him, which made him feel nervous and unsure of himself on how the truly treat Eloise, through these trail and errors both learned to compromise with each other and that only built a stronger and loving relationship that all couples face and deal with. Meeting each other half way.

The love scenes were great, but the romance and building of a relationship took center stage between Eloise and Phillip, which I really enjoyed as it’s not shown to much in romance novels.

The humor was still there as the Bridgerton brothers come and rescue the runaway Eloise from certain doom, only to find out they needed to get her married instead. But once again it’s Violet the Bridgerton’s mother that adds the true words of wisdom that made me get teary eyed as I thought of my own mom and how I always turn to her for advice and a simple hug.

Overall: another great JQ story with a few lessons about compromise, trust and just wiliness to listen to those around you. Most of all, that even happy ever afters take a little work, but it makes it more special as you learn to understand and grow closer to the one you love

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Sir Phillip, With Love.

09/18/2009 page 372
100.0% "review to come" 1 comment
03/07/2016 marked as: read

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Wonderful review, Rane. You said it all. I loved this one because it was very deep and kind of angsty. It was nice to see the growth in both Eloise and Phillip. The scene where her brothers come is hilarious.

message 2: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy I always look forward to your reviews on the Bridgertons, Rane! You're whipping right through the series. :D

Rane Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Wonderful review, Rane. You said it all. I loved this one because it was very deep and kind of angsty. It was nice to see the growth in both Eloise and Phillip. The scene where her brothers come i..."

Thank you so much Danielle! *hugs* OMG, I always feel sorry for the sisters when the brothers get involved, but those sisters always have a few tricks up their sleeves!

message 4: by Rane (last edited Sep 18, 2009 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Tammy wrote: "I always look forward to your reviews on the Bridgertons, Rane! You're whipping right through the series. :D"

Thank you Tammy! *hugs*
I only have three more left out of the series, but I thought I take a detour from the Bridgertons and reads some others before I finish up the series (almost don't wanna see it end ;_;)

message 5: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Rane! I love the Bridgerton series, but somehow I skipped this book. Now I need to find my copy... *rummages through the TBR pile*

message 6: by Rane (last edited Sep 20, 2009 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane! I love the Bridgerton series, but somehow I skipped this book. Now I need to find my copy... *rummages through the TBR pile*"

Thank you Dina! *hugs*
I'am really enjoying the series, but am taking a few detours to make the series last a little longer ;D

*ties a rope to Dina's foot as Dina dissapper into her TBR pile* don't want you to be getting lost ^^

message 7: by K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K. Wow Rane! You are plowing through this series one after the next as quickly as I'm going through the BDB! :D I certainly understand as I've read this series more than once (an oddity for me on any books). This one wasn't my particular favorite, and I think some of your points clearly showed why -- Phillip was a bit hard to warm up to. Overall, though still worth the read, especially as by this time, anyone reading this series is really involved with the whole family and their welfare generally! Thanks for another great take on it.
K.

Rane K. wrote: "Wow Rane! You are plowing through this series one after the next as quickly as I'm going through the BDB! :D I certainly understand as I've read this series more than once (an oddity for me on any..."

*laughs* Thank you K.
Yes, am trying to slow down now to stretch the last books in the series and catch up one my lack of sleep from reading till in the wee hours of the night ^^;
At times I did wanna shake Phillip, but something had to smack him in the face before he saw what was wrong, but at least he didn't go walking blind and finally opened his eyes.

Fani *loves angst* Rane, I actually skipped this and the one after that, but, after reading your review, I'm thinking I should give it a try after all! It sounds better than I imagined it to be and since my expectations are already low, it's hard to be disappointed:)

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Fani wrote: "Rane, I actually skipped this and the one after that, but, after reading your review, I'm thinking I should give it a try after all! It sounds better than I imagined it to be and since my expectati..."

*laughs* How true, but it wasn't a bad book and pretty good overall ^^

Karen Great review, Rane. :-)

message 12: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Rane! This looks like a great addition to the series! I need to read more of this series, I've actually only read the later ones.

message 13: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Angelc wrote: "Great review, Rane! This looks like a great addition to the series! I need to read more of this series, I've actually only read the later ones."

You've read the "bad" ones, Angelc! The 1st 4 books are widely rated as the best in the series. You should definitely give them a try.

message 14: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Dina, I liked the ones that I read, especially When He was Wicked, so the first ones must be excellent :)

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Karen wrote: "Great review, Rane. :-)"

Thank you Karen!

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "Great review, Rane! This looks like a great addition to the series! I need to read more of this series, I've actually only read the later ones."

Thank you Angelc!
Each book stands alone wonderfully and has a differnt feel to them. Am getting into the later books and really enjoying when he was wicked

message 17: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily Wonderful review, Rane :)

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lily wrote: "Wonderful review, Rane :)
I loved this series. It's been quite a while since I've read them but your reviews bring them back to mind clearly. "

Thank you Lily, am happy my reviews are clear as I tend to feel I ramble to much about what I felt about each book *smiles*

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill Thanks for the great review Rane. I read this book some time ago and really enjoyed it. The plot was unique and I loved the very flawed hero and heroine. This is the last Quinn I read but I do intend to go on reading the series after I have read the next Wheel of Time book that comes out October 27. (I need to get ready for that by rereading the last two books in the series.)

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Bill wrote: "Thanks for the great review Rane. I read this book some time ago and really enjoyed it. The plot was unique and I loved the very flawed hero and heroine. This is the last Quinn I read but I do inte..."

Thank you Bill, I've been really enjoying this series, each can stand alone, but are differnt from one another much like the Bridgertons :)