Psmith 's Reviews > The Immigrant

The Immigrant by Manju Kapur

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: solid, india-via-books
Recommended for: mature readers who love psychology and Indian culture
Read from September 10 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I am impressed with Manju Kapur's ability to write scintillating books. This story dealt with a couple - Nina and Ananda - who got into an arranged marriage. Nina is a 30 year old lady who is in poor circumstances with a widowed mother and a lectureship residing in a small house in Delhi. Her mother is constantly worried about getting her married, and they get a proposal which is too good to reject - an orphaned dentist from Canada who is just 2 years her senior and who doesnot expect any monetary contributions from her. The marriage takes place and we are exposed to the 'arranged marriage' set-up. This book has dealt minutely with the immigrant Indian life, the expectations, the worries, the unsatisfied desires. It has also dealt with the expectations and adjustments which go on in all marriages, let alone arranged ones. It actually deals with two worthy topics - arranged marriage and immigrant life. It slowly takes us to the point where the marriage slides downwards and to the final point. I loved this book. I loved the small details. I loved the slight monotony. This is one book which I will surely reread and savor. One word of caution - this is mainly meant for the mature readers. My personal opinion is that anyone under 30 may feel bored with the book unless he/she is of a mature outlook. There is extramarital sex, a tinge towards feminism (the real one, not the bra burning variety) and lots of conflicting, bold ideations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immigrant.

09/10/2011 page 63
19.0% "fabulous so far"
09/11/2011 page 80
24.0% "loving it so far.... this seems to be the type of book I love to sink my teeth into. Only deterring factor is the frequent typos - for some reason, an old lady is always mentioned as Mr. and I was immensely confused in the beginning... now got used to it"