Becky's Reviews > Last Night in Twisted River

Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving

Jun 19, 10

Read from June 13 to 19, 2010

3 stars....

In many respects, I enjoyed this novel as I've enjoyed other Irving novels. The World According to Garp is one of my favorites, and A Prayer for Owen Meany is up there too. Ketchum, Dominic, and Danny (the three main characters) have intriguing personalities, and for the most part the plot keeps moving forward. Halfway through this book, I was considering giving it four (maybe even four and a half) stars.

However, by the end I was wondering if I should even give it three stars. For me, the book could have ended about 50 pages before it actually did, and there were moments when I wondered if a particular line of plot was even necessary.

Maybe I've just read too much of Irving and it's time to stop. The twisted familial relationships, the commentary on war and politics, the bizarre turns of events, and the tragedies are all seeming the same from one Irving novel to another. One reviewer posited that perhaps this is Irving's last novel, and, as such, it is a conglomeration of many other novels. I can understand this line of interpretation as this book did seem a mish-mash of the others.

But will I read another Iriving novel, provided he publishes another? Maybe. Oh, who am I kidding? Probably.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night in Twisted River.