Paul Bryant's Reviews > Omensetter's Luck

Dec 29, 13

bookshelves: modern-classic, novels
Read from November 28 to December 29, 2013

THE REV. P BRYANT'S CHANGE OF HEART

Oh the brows that furrowed like broiling cauliflowers – name the names… who first were they?

Garima, M J Nicholls and bashful Ian Graye too, who kept his heart enclosed in heelskin normally, also from Nick Craske- which were a match for the beads…chatoyant…like Christ’s eyes…and from Hadrian and his lovely daughters April Meows Often With Scratching and Jennifer while later on as the night wore on and the watchmen wearied and ginger cookies served and the mumbo jumbo didn’t stir them unless it was the stain of beets and three more long paragraphs with a beautiful line somewhere in the middle

O William Gass
Such a pain in the ass
His difficult prose
Gets right up my nose

Indifferent as Jesus’ dad’s backside. Palmyra. Ninevah. Corinth. Devonshire Road. He jerked his head he arched his back he scratched his ventricles he shrieked aloud when he saw he had another 125 pages left

O O Omensetter
Will you ever get much better?

O O Reverend P
When the oysters all leave the sea

And anyway, here's a nice riddle
I thought thy brow was high but it turns out to be middle

Yay, thou miserable gainsayer. Gnaw your own innards. Thou’rnt good enough to be the seat on mine own privy shouldst not thou payest thy five star homage. Three is it? Three? Ugh. Ugh. Not a single pig’s bladder. The penis in repose – shall we not say it is much like a badger in a snowdrift? No, not at all! Grr! Hmm! Now I intend to put my finger up my nose! Or your nose! Or somebody's nose!

O mistress Mary
May I fumble your wambles?
Nay, you are so hairy
I’d rather use a candle

19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Omensetter's Luck.

11/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/13/2013 page 92
29.0% "after a somewhat difficult start this has now really caught fire - I love the mad old geezer; whoever said it's like Joyce's Proteus chapter was right, except instead of young brilliant Stephen Dedalus it's the mind of a half mad disgusting old preacher. Bring it on."
12/26/2013 page 155
49.0% "MJ's description of this book as "barbed-wire prose" is just right. It's ugly, with odd flashes of great loveliness. Some of it is frankly nuts and completely off its trolley."
12/29/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Garima Ha! I like almost every book, Paul so always take my views with a pinch of salt. I really loved this book but equally enjoyed your review too. You'll probably like Middle C. The prose is much much simpler and there's music.

Paul Bryant Hi Garima - hope you don't mind me taking your name in vain!

Garima Not at all! I like seeing my name in other people reviews. I'm vain like that...hmm.

message 4: by Ian (last edited Dec 29, 2013 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Bryant thanks - it's so fiddly - what am I, a computer programmer? It's not what they pay me for.

message 6: by Manny (new)

Manny I think you showed a great deal of restraint here, Paul. I mean, it's not even a Celebrity Death Match.

message 7: by Ian (last edited Dec 29, 2013 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Cantankeroo-Gazan An Appreciation of the Reviews of Paul Bryant
(In Nested Rhymes in the Manner of "Cloud Atlas")

When it comes to book opinions,
There’s only one you’ve got to know.
It comes from the Nottingham desk
Of the very irreverent
Mr. Reverend Paul Bryant.
His verses are at best burlesque,
Though it's prose that puts on the show
For his followers and minions.

Paul Bryant that's a great Christmas present - thanks Mr Graye...

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Cantankeroo-Gazan It's the least I could do for all the reading pleasure you've given me over the years. I hope Santa filled your shelves with great books and look forward to reading the reviews.

message 10: by Margitte (new)

Margitte I felt like being asleep and being woken up by a telephone I have no clue where it came from, who's on the other side, and what the hell is being said. Lolol. You really rattled me completely with this one. But as usual, it's you, and it's different and funny as hell :-))

Mmmm, come to think of it: can hell really be funny?

:-))