Gemma's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men

Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men by Molly Harper

Sep 05, 09

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended for: Anyone who loves well written & hilarious reads :]

Jane's back, and just as hilarious as ever. :] I loved the first book, and was looking forward to the next one. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed - I loved it.

When I first picked up Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs, I was expecting it to be pretty much the same as most of the ever present vamp books out atm. I suppose in some aspects it is, but this book has something most don't - it's FUNNY. And I'm not talking about snorts of amusement here, though there are many - I'm talking real laughs. Honestly, I don't think I've ever read another book that made me laugh out loud so much before :L

Even though the plot is sort of non-existent, I really didn't care - most of the laughs and content come from Jane and her interactions with her zany friends. For me it still beat the first book's plot - a strange evil vampire Barbie estate agent? That was a bit too ridiculous for me tbh :L This book revolves around Zeb & Jolene's wedding, which presents many situations for laughs, mainly from Jolene's bloodthirsty werewolf family and Jane's bridesmaid dress woes.

I especially loved (the original) Dick Cheney, Jane's Aunt Jettie and even Mama Ginger. But the real star for me here is Jane - it's hilarious to be in her head and see things the way she does. The only character that fell a little flat for me was Gabriel - we found out a lot more about him in this book, and I liked him more, but he was still at times annoying and kind of boring.

However, the ending of this book left quite a few unresolved questions for me. What exactly was up with Adam? I kept expecting him to come back and go a bit psycho at the end, but never happened. And Gabriel - what's with all the weird secretive phone calls and business trips? After reading a preview of the next book, I have my suspicions, and the next book seems to hold the answers, so I'll definitely be reading that one.

Although it's a light hearted story and made me laugh, this book isn't just mindless chick lit - Molly Harper writes with real intelligence, and her characters are engaging and interesting. There were sad moments, but also moments where I felt really happy for the characters.
So, despite the somewhat haphazard plot, this really is a great story, and I shall be eagerly awaiting Nice Girls Don't Live Forever for hopefully more of the fabulous Jane (:

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men.