Clytee's Reviews > She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel

F 50x66
Sep 05, 09

Read in August, 2009

This book is the sequel to "A Girl Named Zippy". It is autobiographical. Though it says on the back of the book that it is about her mother, it is more about Zippy as a kid. But during the time, her mother who had previously sat on the couch, ate junk food and read science fiction all day got the courage to "get up off the couch", eventually get a college diploma and teach English. It is story of abject small town poverty, both family love and disfunction, and of the Midwest in the '60s and '70s.

She says many things I can relate to, growing up a tomboy in the midwest in the '60s and '70s:

(p. 49) "I never could get what was the big deal about being pretty, it all seemed like a bunch of hokum to me. Who had time to think about such things, and who would bother?"

And she described well my fear of tornados. To set it up, she is at a friends house watching TV when on comes "the blue band crawling across the bottom of the screen, the issuance of a tornado warning for parts of Henry County. A tornado had been spotted .... somewhere .... I never understood the parts about north/northeast, of six miles west of 375 North, what the heck did any of that mean anyway. My palms began to sweat ....... Nothing scared me more. Nothing except rats, being kidnapped, or being thrown into black water.....tornadoes were way high on the list of things that terrified me." I was the same way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Got Up Off the Couch.