Alex Matsu's Reviews > Falling Up

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Sep 05, 2009

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books

Falling up is a collection of Shell Silverstien's best poems, and there is no time or date but it is spread worldwide. There are dozens of characters, but most of the poems are about weird things happening to children and old people. All of the poems rhyme or carry a beat. My favorite is HELP! It is about a unicorn who's horn is stuck in a tree but when you try to help it, he gets protective about his horn and and asks you so many questions until you walk away.
My connection is text-to-world, for the poem Furniture Bash. The poem takes pieces of furniture and turns them into body parts, making them fight each other: "The hand of the clock punched the foot of the bed, so the foot of the bed kicked the seat of the chair." This happens with several different pieces of furniture. I think this is similar to the government's system of checks and balances, where one groups decision affects another group. Just like in the poem if one group isn't cooperating, it will affect all the other groups cooperation also.
I would give this book five stars because the poems are really imaginative and funny. I like the fantasy that is worked into all of the poems. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked books by Roald Dahl, because the writing style is the same.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Up.