Rosie's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: book-club
Read in September, 2009

I recently joined my cousin Emily's book club, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was the book at was chosen for next month's meeting. I usually stay away from murder mysteries and crime novels in general, so I didn't know if I was going to like this book or not. I am excited, however, to read some books that I maybe wouldn't choose myself. I thought this book was alright I guess. I really liked that it was a page-turner and kept my interest. The female characters are awesome. You can tell that the author really liked (yeah, he's dead) women in a respectful way. I didn't like all of the violence in the story. I thought a lot of it was gratuitous, especially the part toward the beginning of the book with Lisbeth Salander and her gross lawyer. I felt like it was a really cheap way to accelerate Lisbeth's character development. I mean, I get why it happened and why someone like her would let that happen and blah blah blah, but I would have liked to get to know Lisbeth better throughout more pages and more less gross events. Anyway, this is a good mystery and it was very suspenseful. I really liked the pacing and I think I'm a fan of Stieg Larsson's writing style. I'll probably read the sequel. I would definitely recommend this to people who like a good 'ol gruesome murder mystery and readers who like strong female characters.

09/13/2009 page 150
25.42% "This started out slow, but now I'm totally into it! Mysteries can be fun I guess."